Saturday, January 19, 2008

I Found a Guy

. . . whose blog is deemed worthy of mention! In writing my previous post, I realized that I gravitate towards the blogs of other women. I couldn't remember ever reading a blog by a guy. But I discovered a male-written blog yesterday! I had actually visited his website before, but had not taken the time to read his blog.

Rick Riordan is an author that I've glommed recently. He is a native San Antonian, so I already feel a certain affinity toward him, and until recently was a middle school teacher, so I definitely admire him! He writes the wonderful Percy Jackson and the Olympians series of books for children. I love these books, and like so many thirteen year olds, I can't wait until his next one comes out! So I was perusing his blog, Myth & Mystery, which has many entries about school visits, book tours and interactions with his fans, but also some really thoughtful entries about writing, teaching, education, children, success and censorship. I especially liked his views on censorship.

I was lucky enough to hear him speak at the Texas Book Festival in Austin last November, and he was so lovely with the kids, who were the majority of the standing room only audience in a gymnasium-sized room. And these kids really knew their stuff-- they knew his books backwards and forwards and were just so excited about reading them. How many kids get excited about reading anything? Especially books about Greek mythology?!

So I am proud to add Mr. Riordan's blog (another one by a writer!) to my growing list of favorites, and pleased to read about a guy's take on the world as well.

1 comment:

Mrs. G. said...

He IS such a wonderful author. We are reading The Lightening Thief in one of my classes and the kids love it. I also must mention that he provides the most amazing free teacher's guide on his website.