Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Twenty Years Ago

Totally 80s style blue floral print Multiples outfit, plus icky 80s shoes and my favorite fake Fendi bag. Visiting Stanford University, March 1989.

My absolute favorite Multiples outfit--loved, loved, loved this one! I wore this everywhere. Apparently also wore the denim jacket everywhere too! A view of the Golden Gate Bridge after just crossing it. March 1989.

The new Units/Multiples by Sandra Garratt, the original designer of the 80s fashion craze. They look almost exactly the same and the prices aren't bad either. (Photo from Sandra Garratt Design website)

I posted the first two photos on Facebook three months ago, after my friend Tyra sent me a link to a website about the founder of Units. Units, and later Multiples, were these amazing cotton/poly knit separates (excellent quality, never faded) that were "convertible"--you could mix and match the solids (later prints too), wear certain pieces in different ways (as a belt or as a tube top!) and they were one size fits all. And according to the new website, the designer is selling her Units pieces again starting this year!

I hunted up pics of me wearing my beloved Units/Multiples pieces, and found several. These were from my Spring Break trip to visit family in the San Francisco Bay area in March 1989. Although I loved these outfits so much, I realized how OLD they made me look, and not in a good way. Dowdy-looking old, not sophisticated and chic old(er)! My uncle, who drove me to Stanford the day I wore the blue outfit, told me I looked "middle-aged." I didn't think so then, but he was soooo right!

I decided to post these pics on my blog because they were taken exactly twenty years ago this week. I was 18 years old in these pics, and yesterday, I turned 38 years old. 20 YEARS. Wow. The question is, if I wore Units/Multiples now, would I look my own age (now that I am middle-aged) or would I look even older?!

1 comment:

Tyra said...

Well, I think you are always beautiful. Your sweet, generous spirit is your best feature, and that never ages. =)