Saturday, February 21, 2009

Goodbye, Facebook (kind of)


It's official: I'm over Facebook. I still think it's a great time-waster and reunion place for people I've lost touch with since elementary school. But I no longer feel compelled to update my status or check FB compulsively.

I read this great blog post about why this woman left Facebook and found myself laughing at how funny and yet true it all was.

Several people I know, including my hubby, have voiced their privacy concerns about social networking sites like Facebook. Seriously, I think the idea of Internet "privacy" is overrated! I have no problem putting my information "out there" in exchange for the privilege of shopping, doing research and generally being entertained by various websites and blogs online. I'm not a famous person and likely won't be, so I doubt there is a whole lot of interest in my personal information anyway. So I'm not shying away because of privacy issues.

My real reason for taking a break from Facebook is just because I'm kind of bored with it and would like to meet people in person for a change! Or maybe just through other venues besides FB. Time spent online in general is time sucked into a huge vacuum and I can't ever get it back. Time that possibly could be spent on other things. Like hanging out with my husband and kids (who are not on FB), enjoying the all-too-short spring Texas weather, planning my upcoming vacation, etc. I'm sure I'll fill up that time with something!

I'll be checking my account now and then because now that I've reconnected with so many people I had missed for so many years, I still want to stay in touch. I've really enjoyed meeting for lunch with my found-on-Facebook friend from high school, for example. And catching up on another found-on-Facebook friend's awesome foodie blog. Facebook began as a really strange thing for me because I had to lie and say I was a college student in order to get an account a few years ago, and then everyone and their dog showed up and it got really fun, for a while, but now it's time to move on. I may have to sneak back in too for a round of Scramble or such; I think I might miss those games most of all!

No comments: