Monday, June 26, 2006

Who Are You Calling Little?!?!

What's the deal with the blog title, one might ask? Even my husband didn't even know why I named my blogsite "Who Are You Calling Little?"! So here is the story:

Years ago, actually almost a decade ago(!), I worked in the Telephone Information Center of a financial aid office at a large university. I started out as a lowly phone counselor, talking to students, parents and other seeking financial aid information all day long, day in, day out. It was pretty routine, most of the time. One day, a department advisor from the Fine Arts college called on behalf of one of his students. (Department advisors are there to help the students who declare their major in that particular department). This advisor was, of course, seeking more aid for his student, who was probably sitting in his office either sobbing or carrying on in some dramatic fashion. Anyway, this advisor got a little snippy with me when I told him his student had been awarded all the aid he was eligible for. And of course, said advisor demanded to speak with a 'supervisor', threatened to complain to a higher power, etc. etc. etc. (yes, this happened all the time and I was quite immune to his rantings). I told him I would put him on hold and speak to my supervisor about this student's case (BTW, I rarely ever summoned the supervisor; this is something that people who work in customer service do all the time to get the irate person to shut up and calm down). I didn't even put the call on hold, merely pressed 'Mute' so I could give him a 'telephone time-out.' But the annoyed advisor really thought I had put him on hold, so while he was waiting, he started trash-talking me! It went something like this:
"That little bitch actually put me on hold! Who the hell does she think she is? Blah-blah-blah . . ." I'm fairly sure he was talking to his student, and I have to say, *such language* in front of our young and impressionable college kids!
I was more than a little irritated now, so I cut the 'Mute' button and told him "Just so you know, I can hear every word you're saying while you're on hold, Sir."
His response? "Oh." And then, in a whisper to the invisible student, "She can hear me!"
I think I ended up patching his call through to some other counselor who had $$-granting powers so I wouldn't have to deal with his snippy self anymore. Meanwhile, my friend sitting at the cube next to me was cracking up as I had already told her what Mr.-Snippy-Advisor had said about me, and she said I should have picked up the phone and yelled "Who Are You Calling Little????"
The moral is: You can call me a 'witch with a B', but I will not stand for being called LITTLE by someone who doesn't even know how tall I am!!!

No comments: