Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sad

One of my favorite blogs to read daily has ended, and I feel so bereft. I loved it not because the blogger leads a glamorous life with exciting posts about her adventures around the world, but because she is a mom of 3 (although mostly grown) kids and loves to cook and putter around in her home. And she is a writer and I have such an affinity and admiration for those who make magic with words. She lives in one of my favorite cities in the world, in another country, and I loved all the local references to places there I have visited. I have never met this woman in my life, but feel like I know her and her family through her words and what she has shared of her life experiences. Very grateful for that as a total stranger given the privilege to know another total stranger but feel very connected.

She has decided to go "unplugged," disconnecting her Internet today and ending her blog after 16 months of posts about everything and anything. She writes:

Now I’m going to move on, unclench the tight grip this computer has over me and try to rediscover and enjoy other aspects of my life. Things that I have let fall by the wayside.

It is time for me to simplify.

That takes alot of courage and discipline! I know how much I depend on the Internet for my daily amusements and communications. But I admire her desire to simplify her life. I discovered her blog only a few months after she started it, and checking in with Meg became a natural part of my day, five minutes of chatty musings, recipes and inspiration from another Mom who'd already been through everything I am going through right now. The craziness of parenthood when the kids are small. And to know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and the tunnel isn't as long as you think it is and someday you'll yearn for those days again as she often does.


I hope she'll leave her blog up anyway, for those days when I want the comfort of familiar words (like watching a favorite movie I've already seen a hundred times). I wish I could thank her, but she's never taken comments or emails so I just hope she realizes that there are many of us who loved visiting her peaceful, tranquil site.

No comments: