Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Chalice of Roses: The Holy Grail Across Time


I am just about finished with a brand new anthology of linked novellas about the Holy Grail. As in Jesus and the Last Supper, Arthurian legend, Celtic tradition, etc. I love Grail stories, and can only remember reading one other romance that uses the Grail legend as a backdrop, so I really looked forward to reading this anthology. I also like these particular authors, whose novels and short stories I've read before.

What is most notable about Chalice of Roses is that the four stories have the same premise, the same Holy Grail story as a starting point. Since there are many versions of the legend to draw on, these four authors chose one version and therefore their stories are linked across time and history. It's been interesting to see how each author incorporates the basic Grail "facts" they've agreed upon into their storyline. For example, one story is set in the Middle Ages, another in the present day, yet both are connected despite the vast differences in setting and time periods.

One of the novellas, set in WWII, is by my absolute favorite romance writer Mary Jo Putney. Ms. Putney's One Perfect Rose was the book that got me hooked on the romance genre in the first place, 11 years ago! So anything by MJP is always an extra special read for me.

No comments: