Thursday, January 28, 2010

Book in Progress: The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder


I am halfway through Rebecca Wells' 2009 novel, The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder. The title itself is a mouthful. I have read her Ya Ya trilogy ((Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Little Altars Everywhere, and Ya-Yas in Bloom) and after loving one, disliking one and feeling somewhere in between on the last, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read her newest book.

However, am really enjoying the characters in this book. I like the way Wells writes from the point of view of a child, as she did in the Ya Ya books. Since I haven't finished the book yet, I can't give my complete impression of the book, but already in the past 7 days I have twice found myself poring over its pages and crying my eyes out over it at a restaurant during lunch. (A guilty pleasure--lunch and book somewhere else.) The good kind of tears. A good kind of book so far.

Image from HarperCollins.com

No comments: