Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pink Retro & Some Good Books

I didn't blog yesterday because I didn't feel like it. I think I'm battling the winter blues, although ironically it no longer feels like winter outside. Just inside myself.

So onward to yesterday's topic, Retail Love, and today's as well.

Yubz Retro Handset for Mobile Phones
Photo from Yubz.com
This cute handset has been on my secret wishlist for several months now. It's adorable and useful! I hate using my cell phone all the time but wouldn't mind it as much if I had this retro handset. In pink. I love that it can rest on your shoulder just like old-school phones did. The only thing is they don't seem to sell it for my particular cell phone (yet). Although I've sent a few emails politely requesting that they add an adapter for mine! Meanwhile, I'll just continue to covet one until I get a new phone or they add my current one.

The Book Nook (is that too cutesy and dumb-sounding?)

So what's on my nightstand these nights (and days)? I started Nora Roberts' Key Trilogy during the summer, got really into books 1 and 2, and then real life got in the way. I didn't pick up book 3 until last week, and I'm remembering now what I liked about this particular series.

I've only been reading Nora Roberts for about two years, despite the fact that she always has a new bestseller out as well as rereleases of dozens and dozens more of her older titles. She writes romances as Nora Roberts, her real name, and murder mysteries as J.D. Robb. With the exception of her MacGregor series, which I somehow ended up reading while in London 10 years ago, I purposely avoided reading her books since for the better part of eight years because I just couldn't believe that anyone who could churn out new novels that quickly would be any good. Ha! Her books are generally great, and she excels at creating believable characters who you want to know more about. I particularly enjoy her trilogies and series, where the characters recur and you really get to know them quite well over several novels.

Although I am a few chapters shy of finishing the Key Trilogy, what I liked most about it are the quirky female protagonists (Malory, Dana and Zoe) in each book, the female bonding among them across the series, and the fact that magic, sorcery and otherworldly souls are intricately involved in the storylines. And the males, as always in good romances, are exactly the kinds of males you dream of but at the same time are also regular "guys" with their typical endearing foibles. Another thing about this particular trilogy is that you don't necessarily know how Roberts will take you to the preordained happily ever after that all romance novels must have. I like that element of suspense. So excuse me while I go finish my book!

No comments: