Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day


I missed my chance to vote in 1988 presidential election by only 4 months--I turned 18 in March 1989. It was a real disappointment to me, especially as I was taking the state-required senior Government class at the time. The teacher was young and irreverent, and she made government and politics interesting. I couldn't wait to vote in an election, any election. The first election I was eligible to vote in was a school board election a few months after my birthday. I was so excited to cast my ballot at the mall.

Although I haven't been as diligent about voting in every minor election since then, I haven't missed a presidential or governor's race since 1992. I love to vote. I love receiving my voter registration card in the mail. When I was within a certain age group (ie. younger), I used to tuck blank voter registration cards into '18th birthday' cards or 'congratulations on your new address' cards, trying to encourage my friends to do their civic duty too. I love receiving the sticker at the end of the quick voting process and will proudly wear it all day. (In fact, my 'I Voted' sticker from the 2004 election is still stuck to my bathroom mirror.)

Talking about government and elections was not something we really did as a family when I was growing up. As immigrants, my parents were not eligible to vote, and although they paid taxes and contributed to their community in various ways, were a bit removed from the democratic process. The first time I voted in 1989, I was proud to be the first person in my family to do so. And I grew up with stories from parents about how elections were done in their homeland, the Philippines--the buying of votes, fraudulent ballots, election-related violence-- made me realize how different the process was here in this country. How we take the peaceful transition of power for granted. And as I got older, studying elections in history and democracy around the world also made me realize that there are people who crave the freedoms and rights we so carelessly disregard, such as our right to vote.

I voted on the second day of early voting, eager to avoid he predicted long lines. I took one of my two kids with me; she complained the whole time. I felt, as I always do, proud to cast my vote again. I also wished that I had done more research on certain down-ballot races; in my pre-parenting days, I would have!

Yesterday, the day before the election, a caller on the Diane Rehm Show on NPR stated she was still undecided and didn't know what she should do. She was young, probably college-aged, and lived in Missouri. I was annoyed listening to her. Here she was, at the end of the longest campaign ever, still undecided?! All the information was out there, accessible in every possible media. All the opinions of each candidate's character and trustworthiness were out there, from everyone and anyone you could ask. Lazy. I hope she made it to the polls, but I suspect she might not have.

I guess I don't understand when people don't vote. Some people in other countries, who don't have that privilege, would fight for that right, maybe even die for it. A record number of eligible voters did cast their votes today, and in the weeks leading up to the election. It makes me very happy to have that one thing in common with so many other Americans. So many young people voted and enthusiastically took part in the process, maybe just not the caller from Missouri.

We turned on CNN to watch the election returns at 6pm this evening. Thalia, who had heard and learned much about the presidential race at school, was keenly interested in watching it. She stared at the pie-charts with the red, blue and orange (other) slices. "Who is Other?" she wanted to know. She noted the rising number of electoral votes on the bottom of the screen for Obama. It was really cool to watch the early returns with my 7 year old child, who had voted online at a kids' website about the election process earlier today. She voted for Obama, but could have gone either way really, and that was her choice to make. Someday, too soon, she will be old enough to cast her own vote for president. I want her to reach that decision using her brain as well as her heart, to utilize all the available information and resources out there. I don't want her to be a clueless, undecided voter on the eve of election day, but an informed, confident one who proudly casts her ballot. And even if her vote isn't the same as mine, I hope she'll get the same thrill I do when I vote.

Photo from Google Images

No comments: