Saturday, November 15, 2008

Ugh

Today I took my Girl Scout troop on a hike to the top of a mountain with an observation lookout tower. We walked almost two miles round-trip. About halfway up the mountain, I felt a sudden twinge in my mid-back. Uh-oh. It was a twinge that was similar to the one I had last week when unloading some Costco-size purchases from the back of my car. When that happened, I spent the rest of the afternoon lying flat on my back. Unfortunately, this morning our Girl Scout hike wasn't even halfway over.

I said nothing to my husband or the other parents. I said nothing to the girls. I realized that I could move my back in certain ways and the pain wasn't excruciating, but if I moved a particular way, it nearly made me double over again. So I carefully made my way up to the top, a little slower than I had been walking but pretty much the same. I was dying to just stop and lie flat, but that was just impossible.

On the way back down, I whispered to Dylan what had happened with my back and that I could hardly stand it. This was after having played a quick game on the trail, climbed up the observation tower, the trip to the primitive bathrooms, and a snack activity where we made our own "Walking Salads" (trail mix). There is also a playscape with a rock climbing wall at the base of the trail, so I couldn't even escape after the hike--the girls would not be denied the chance to play!

I finally did make it home, took a really hot shower, and lay down for about 40 minutes . . . until it was time for a friend's baby shower which I could not miss. I even put on my high heel sandals that I can barely walk in--why not really be miserable and yet fashionable all at once?!

I got through the afternoon and evening with very much Motrin and will power. We went out for dinner and even some shopping. And I gradually forgot about my back, except when I felt the twinge again. Busy Moms just don't have time for bad backs! Needless to say, I am looking forward to some down time tomorrow. I've got too much planned next week to make room for a uncooperative back.

No comments: