Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hair Drama


I recently vowed to reduce the number of haircuts and color jobs I usually have in a year's time as part of our family's "recession bail out plan." I wrote this in earnest, of course, but my hair is seriously out of control and I will need to at least have it trimmed.

The reason why I haven't done so already in 4 months has less to do with saving money, although I have, and more to do with the fact that my beloved hair stylist with whom I had an on-again, off-again relationship moved away in August! Boo-hoo! Four months ago I had decided to go to him exclusively for my haircuts after a humorous hair incident involving an associate of his at the same salon.

Earlier this spring, Emily (not her real name) at Salon FooFaLa (also not the real name) cut my hair, just a little trim as I was still growing it out for my brother's wedding. I'd actually been to her a couple of times already and she'd cut my hair in late summer/early fall. however, when I went back to her in April, this is the conversation we had:
Emily said:Your hair is uneven. Whoever cut your hair last didn't cut it evenly.
I said: Are you sure?
I thought to myself: YOU cut my hair last!
Emily said: Oh, yeah, it's definitely uneven.
I thought to myself: OMG! YOU cut my hair crooked!
I said: Oh. Ok.

So when I decided to cut off 6 inches this summer, I requested Roger (not his real name) again. I told him, on the sly, the story about Emily and my crooked hair. (Her station was next to his.) He laughed and said that would never happen again while he cut my hair. Roger is the most precise hair stylist I have ever met. He cuts and measures and cuts and measures and then checks it all again. All was well with the world again.

But when I returned later in the summer for another cut, he had moved away rather suddenly! Boo-hoo again!

So tomorrow I'm trying a new gal at the same salon, NOT Emily of course, and I specifically requested the most senior stylist. This probably means I will pay the highest price ever for my cut, but it may be worth my peace of mind. So much for our savings plan!

No comments: