Sunday, November 16, 2008

Heavens to Etsy

Many months ago I discovered a site called Etsy (like 'Betsy' without the B) while on someone else's blog. If you're female and an artsy-craftsy type, you're probably already familiar with Etsy. If you grew up with a Mom who sold her wares or shopped at craft fairs or church bazaars, like I did, you will appreciate what a kick it is to see these all-handmade items sold in a very slick, high-tech way. Gone are the folding tables covered with crocheted potholders, ceramic soup tureens, and beaded ornaments-- Etsy vendors list their stuff using tags on a site with Flash interface and "widgets" (whatever that is). I LOVE IT!

Anytime I'm feeling decidedly uncreative, I wander over to Etsy, and then I feel EVEN MORE UNCREATIVE! ha! Seriously, the women (and they are almost all female artists and crafters) who create and sell on Etsy are amazing.

And the best thing about anything you buy through Etsy is that it is guaranteed to be handmade. Never any questions about whether it was mass-produced in a factory somewhere in China. Many of Etsy's items come from the US, and you can do a regional search and buy from someone in your own state.

These are not your granny's crafts. Yes, there's knitting and crochet and ceramics and needlework, but many of the artists have taken them to another level, either through the materials they use or the unique design.

Growing up, I'd seen my share of not-so-creative wares sold at fairs and bazaars, and have even bought my share of them to support a cause or just to be nice. But the stuff on Etsy is good stuff, and I heart alot of it! I like mass-produced stuff too, don't get me wrong, but there is something really special about buying something that no one else will ever have. How cool is that?

No comments: