Sunday, November 09, 2008

My Space

Out of roughly 37 posts in the past three years, I've posted about my kids/family four times; the rest have been about me or stuff I was thinking about. I had no idea what this blog would really be about, what direction I would take it in, when I started it. Clearly, it would seem that I forgot I even had a blog at times! A few months ago I decided that my family should have its own blog, and this one would be my "me-blog", my space all for myself.

The family blog has really flourished! My kids have known about it from the start, and they love to see themselves online(!), so they keep me blogging. The blog is family-friendly and mainly written and updated so our friends and family scattered everywhere can see pics of the girls as they grow and read funny little tidbits about our daily life.

My personal blog, as I now think of it in my head, is a little harder to define. I often have no idea what I should write about, especially now that the family and my kids have their own showcase elsewhere on the web. And perhaps that says alot right there about how I see myself. What am I besides a Mom and Wife, my "official" roles in life right now? Well, I also run a business on the side-- but wait, my company has its own blog too, in addition to a bonafide website run entirely by me, the very amateur webmaster!

About two years ago, I got a Facebook account due entirely to my teenage cousins who seemed to exist solely on Facebook. I knew no one else for a very long while on Facebook who wasn't in college, high school or just young! Now, everyone I know or have known is on Facebook. It's hit critical mass with the 35+ age group! And it's alot more fun now. I use to check my facebook account every few months, and then it became every week, and then a couple of times per week, and then daily, and now it's all day long. Facebook is great because it ties together all the different people I've known through all the different phases of my life--childhood friends, relatives, long-lost high school and college pals, ex-work colleagues and now Mom-friends.

My blog is kind of the opposite of my Facebook page, because there is no immediate social interaction going on. This is all about me, just me, and I have no idea if anyone reads this stuff or if I'm writing into the void. I know within seconds sometimes if someone has read my Facebook comment. I admit, I like the immediate gratification aspect of that! I can blog about anything, everything, often nothing, but there's no feedback. Now, I know there are bloggers out there who get dozens or hundreds of comments per post, to let them know how they're doing. I am not one of them! So sometimes, I feel like I'm just writing aimlessly, like a little tiny dinghy out in the big sea.

Even so, it's nice to have your own spaces in the world.

No comments: