Friday, November 14, 2008

Jezebel

Some of the YA books reviewed recently by Fine Lines on Jezebel (photo from Jezebel.com)

The name Jezebel usually conjures up images of wicked women. It's a provocative name. It's also the name of a website that I absolutely love and can't get enough of. An old friend, Sarah, got me hooked on this site when she recommended it in September.

Jezebel's tagline is: Celebrity, Sex, Fashion for Women. Without Airbrushing. It's a bit like People Magazine for the feminist/liberal/thinking gal. And once I start browsing on their website, I can't stop! Because there's so much to read and catch up on, even if I visit daily. In the past 24 hours, for example, there have been 62 posts on Jezebel's site.

My favorite feature on Jezebel is Fine Lines. Each week, they review classic Young Adult books (circa 1970s and 1980s) from an adult female feminist perspective, and since I must be pretty close in age to the author (probably a bit older), these are the same books I grew up with and adored.

I hope everyone I know visits Jezebel, particularly if you were a hopeless library geek like I was in the 80s and want to revisit some favorite reads from back then. Like its name, its content is provocative, strong, assertive. Hussy!

No comments: